Sunday 13 March 2005

Shopping

I must be doing something wrong. Or there is something I really don't understand. When I went to the town centre yesterday, I sort of hoped I could find a mall where I could do some shopping, such as buying a pair of jeans, some books, finding some gear for my SLR camera or just buying some useless gadget. First, I didn't find a single shopping mall of any decent size. Second, even in the small malls I found, the only shops open where the cafes and food outlets. This being a Saturday somewhere between 2pm and 4pm, it felt very, very strange: in London, this is the time of the week when you can't walk in Oxford Street because of the sheer number of people busy shopping their wallet out. Maybe I didn't go to the right places: I went to Midtown and Buckhead, I didn't go to Downtown. So where do people shop in Atlanta? Where do they buy clothes? Where do they buy books? Where do they buy camera gear? Where can they browse shop windows and impulsively decide to buy something they fancy? I have 2 weeks to unravel this mystery.

No comments: