Friday 19 November 2004

Standards Compliance and Accessibility

After visiting Dan Cederholm's SimpleBits web site, I bought his book, Web Standards Solutions. I've been reading it over the past two days and have been nicely surprised by its quality. I didn't think you could explain how to build a standards compliant web site in such a concise and clear manner. It is by far the best book on the subject I have seen. It also prompted me to have a look at Dive Into Accessibility, an online book by Mark Pilgrim that explains how and why make your web site accessible to disabled users.

In practice, I will have to use this newly acquired knowledge at work to clean up the HTML produced by our software, as well as make it compliant with accessibility guidelines. But before I do that, I thought I needed a bit of practice so I will use this weblog as a test bench. As a result, this site may sometimes look a bit weird over the next few days but hopefully it should look good and be accessible once I'm done with it. So, watch this space!

No comments: