Ubuntu released the first Maverick beta a couple of days ago. As I had some time on my hands today (including the time to re-install Lucid if it all went pear shaped), I decided the upgrade my ThinkPad T42 so, as instructed, I typed this in a terminal:
And here's how it went.
- The upgrade took a few hours, was extremely smooth and just worked.
- Everything that I've tried so far just works out of the box, no regressions (apart from a small glitch, see below).
- I thought Ubuntu 10.04 was fast but 10.10 is even faster! Firefox and Evolution in particular feel snappier.
- The new keyboard layout indicator is bigger and clearer.
- Shotwell replaces F-Spot.
- Some old bugs like ThinkPad sound notifications still don't seem to have been fixed but from the bug report it's not trivial so hopefully it will get sorted at some point.
- A bug for which I provided a patch a couple of months ago is back as
librsvghas been updated to the latest version which doesn't contain the fix.
- The default background really doesn't look good so the first thing I did was change to a different background image.
All in all, an excellent upgrade!