Saturday, 4 September 2010

Ubuntu 10.10 Beta First Impressions

Ubuntu released the first Maverick beta a couple of days ago. As I had some time on my hands today (including the time to re-install Lucid if it all went pear shaped), I decided the upgrade my ThinkPad T42 so, as instructed, I typed this in a terminal:

update-manager -d

And here's how it went.

The Good

  • The upgrade took a few hours, was extremely smooth and just worked.
  • Everything that I've tried so far just works out of the box, no regressions (apart from a small glitch, see below).
  • I thought Ubuntu 10.04 was fast but 10.10 is even faster! Firefox and Evolution in particular feel snappier.
  • The new keyboard layout indicator is bigger and clearer.
  • Shotwell replaces F-Spot.

The Bad

The Ugly

  • The default background really doesn't look good so the first thing I did was change to a different background image.

All in all, an excellent upgrade!

Post a Comment