Sunday, 30 January 2011

The Devil's in the Details

A good piece of software should make boring, repetitive and error prone tasks easy. One of them that photographers face regularly is resizing a batch of images. The typical situation is the day after a party when everybody wants a copy of the photos you took, either by email or on a CD. Quite often, people don't want the full size but they'd quite like copies of all the photos. I found myself in such a situation on New Year's Day: 150-odd photos that needed resizing and burning to a CD. Luckily, I had my trusty Ubuntu laptop running Shotwell. Shotwell does exactly the right thing when you want to export photos: it allows you to resize them all to a size that you specify, as shown in the dialog below:

Shotwell's export dialog

Shotwell's export dialog

My laptop took a few minutes to resize all 150 photos when I exported them. Next to me was a friend who uses a proprietary operating system that shall remain nameless and who commented: Wow, that's cool! When I do that, I have to resize each photo manually and it takes ages! Sometimes the best features are the simple ones.

Post a Comment